Google Catalogs: Google Makes a Huge Bet on Tablet Commerce
Considering how important has Android become to Google, the fact that Google has launched an app only for iPad shows a clear sign of the importance that the iPad currently has in the tablets market. And it also means that this application presents a great value for Google. It seems that Google Catalogs is a very strong bet to Google on tablet commerce, providing access to products catalogs from multiple online stores to promote and facilitate online purchases from tablet-type devices, and particularly from the iPad.
What can we expect from Google Catalogs?
- Interaction: Yo can zoom in to inspect products up close, click on labels to learn more about the products, or even view photo albums and inspiring videos that help us make a better idea of a product in a broader context.
- Find products in nearby stores: When you visualize a product of your like, you can see the nearest shops selling it, or click on “Buy on Website” to visit the online store.
- Express your creativity: Make a collage of your favorite catalog or product pages. Visit the catalogs of your friends any other user to inspire your purchases.
- Share with your friends: Send products or collages to your friends.
- Discover new products and brands: Search for products inside a catalog and find what you are looking for.
At this moment Google Catalogs contains only catalogs from popular shops, but it will certainly change in the next future and we will see many online shops using this interesting application.
If you find this application interesting, you will also be interested in the analysis that UX Magazine makes on Google Catalogs usability.